Tuesday, August 7, 2007

The Ignorance of People

I was reading my Panda Sister, Margie's blog the other day and thinking how glad I was that I haven't encountered any ignorant people in a while. Grrrrrrr why did I even think it. Last night we went to dinner at Old Country Buffet. We usually sit near the buffet area so I can see the girls and still fill drinks and plates as needed while still being able to see them. Wow, we got a great seat last night. At least until this old lady came over to our table. She begins by asking if the girls are sisters. Well I have learned from past experience to just say yes and let it go. Because after all they are. If you explain not biological then you get the "Oh, they're not real sisters" comment. Not worth it to me in my book. The next question is are they adopted. Almost all conversations begin this way. The next part is where the defences comes up because you never know what will be said next. Well last nights was no exception as to why the guards go up IMMEDIATELY. She begins to tell us, DH, the girls, and myself, how her daughter wants to adopt from China but can't. She can't because of the new regs on BMI. The other reason is China "charges" so much to get rid of children they don't want. She then explains how unfair that is because China doesn't want the girls anyway. RED FLAG _ RED FLAG _ RED FLAG. Without being rude, but full of anger I explain that the cost is the same as that of birthing a child and that China only wants the best for their children. That's why they have opened the doors to international adoption and ask for the fees they do so they can better improve the living conditions of the children residing in the orphanages. She then begins to tell me how the children are left in garbage cans and are drowned in the river. DH looks up from entertaining the girls at me with a puzzled look. Genevieve looks up at this lady and then at me, with a questioning look in her face. I ask DH to take the girls to go Tee Tee and wash their face. They of course protest but go anyway. I ask her to leave the table area before the girls return because this in not a conversation I want them to hear. I think too much of my daughters to have them listen to a woman degrade who they are. After all they ARE CHINESE and her bashing the country of China she is bashing them and as a mother I will not have it. She gives me this puzzled look as if to to imply that she has no idea what she has done was wrong. The next thing I knew I was telling her that it was a blessing that her daughter was unable to adopt from China. Even though I did not know her and she may be a wonderful person the grandmother of the child is full of ignorance and hatred and bigotry. The look on her face was total astonishment that I had the nerve to say it. During this entire conversation unbeknown to me the little girl that had been clearing our dishes had heard most of it and had went to get the manager. He came over around the tail end of it and asked how our dinner was and if there was anything else we needed. DH was back by then. The lady walked away. He then apologized for her. I told him it wasn't his fault the world was full of ignorance. He gave us 4 free dinner passes. It just amazes me the nerve of people somedays.

3 comments:

LaLa said...

I agree...thank goodness she is not going to be a grandmother to a beautiful Chinese child. As Annslee gets older I am so much more careful than I used to be b/c you just never know what people will say!

I am always amazed at how they will go on and on right in front of the child. I knew when we adopted a child of a different race/culture we could no longer just "blend in" but my daughter did not agree to be on display so as her Mama it is my job to protect her. Sounds like you did a GREAT job protecting your cubs : )

Joy said...

YOU GO JULIA! :-) I can't stand people like this. You are an inspiration to me on how to respond to these people in the future.

Doug and Terrye said...

Oh Julia, I am so sorry that your girls had to hear all of the garbage flowing out of the woman's mouth!!! But I am so thankful that you had the presence to remove them from the situation and then LET HER HAVE IT!!! You are an awesome role model for your daughters.
Terrye in FL