Wednesday, December 2, 2009

What's so Special about Today?????

On this date 6 yrs ago this precious little girl was born. I was in Beijing waiting for my life to be changed forever. I was adopting Genevieve at the time. 6 yrs ago a mommy made a really really tough decision. A decision that would not only change her life but ours as well. Because form the moment I first saw her face I knew she was my daughter and I would stop at nothing to get our paper work handled to make it legal. After all she was born in my heart on October 16th, 2005 when I first saw her. Her bestest GeGe in the whole world. At one point in her life he was her whole world and nothing or no-one mattered, but him.
I have been doing presentations at the girls school on diversity, acceptance and the differences in families. This all came about when a little boy insisted to Genevieve that her dad could not be her dad because he was brown and she was not. Then another child insisted that she couldn't do fireworks because that was an American holiday and she was not an American but a Chinese. Well after a few of the teachers got wind of my presentation I did they wanted the same for their classrooms. What a great way to educate our young'uns.
When I do it, I read "The Family Book" by Todd Parr. I also bring in our foster kitties we have that week. I talk to the kids about how they all came from a different mommy and daddy but they are all still family. The play together, snuggle together and take care of each other. I also tell the kids about a "four letter word". LOVE The most important thing to make up a family. If you have that, it's all good. So we talk further about adoption and fostering.
The kids really relate well to the kitties and seem to understand a little better that way. Every class I have been in so far has either a foster child in it or an adopted kid in it or both.
I also read "A Mother for Choco" by Keiko Kazka. Then after that we make our very own Choco. They all look different just like our families. It really is an awesome presentation.

1 comment:

Joy said...

You are a GREAT mom for doing that for your girls!

You had some wonderful ideas.

Joy