Monday, July 23, 2012

30 days until school starts

The summer has gone so fast this year.  I know in reality it's the same time frame, but as I age I realize more and more how time seems to speed up.  There were no big family vacations this year just mini fun times.  We still have a few more to go.  A trip to the water park, another Chicago trip, Childrens Museum near U of Michigan campus (uncoupled with a Dr. visit), and a few more hiking trips at nearby state parks. 

Caroline just got back from her poms competition and did wonderful.  She got 4 ribbons.  As a team they got state recognition (I know that doesn't sound good, but it's a high honor), and placed high in their complicated and detailed moves category.  The coach is an amazing person. She believes in lifting up instead of tearing down.  She believes each girl is an individual and allows them to be just that.  She also does not tolerate cattiness.  I love this in a person.  Now it's time for my baby to get back to earth and back to health class.  She took a summer class and is so glad she did.  It's allowed her to really study the information and understand it since there are no other classes to study.  She is very diligent about her studies.

I had the opportunity to assist in a seminar at Notre Dame last week.  It was for Students from the University of Fudan, Shanghai China.  They were all engineering students.  The seminar gave the students the opportunity to view US campus life, sit in a few different classes, and learn a bit about Americans first hand. 

Well, I learned a great deal as well.  The competition level in China to achieve good grades is Very High.  The students study all the time.  They were telling me how the students do not party at college, they do not get into trouble,  the library is the hot spot and everywhere you look students are in books or on tablets studying.  Wow.  A little of that here would be nice.  They said it's like that from the time they were in elementary school.  The children do not mouth off to teachers or fight with other students at school.  It's all about the books. 

During the seminar the topic of American slang words was covered.  Well, to say the least I learned allot as well.  Now I know why my Caroline comes home and asks me about different words she has heard and why they use it in that context.  I took allot of notes.  The one question the students had was why people would knowing call each other other vulgar names in a friendly type setting. Hmmmmm good question. 

Our garden is doing OK.  It's finally started to take off now that God has watered it instead of me.  We needed the rain desperately.  The fields were suffering around here something fierce.  It's nice to see a bit of green instead of all the brown yards.  I was hoping to be able to put 100-150 quarts of tomatoes but it may only be more like 50-75.  We'll see what the next month brings. 

So many changes going on at home, I'm glad children are resilient and adjust well.  Although they don't get it all they still roll with it and tough through.  I have some amazing young'uns. 







Here are a few pics from 4th of July - VERY Hot day and on a burn ban so this was the extent of our celebrations with fireworks

No comments: