Monday, October 19, 2009

Oh the conversations in our House somedays

The new American Girl magazine arrived recently. Genevieve and I were looking through it and the following conversation occurred:
M - Honey we need to order the CNY dress for you and your sister's AG doll.
G - Her doll can't have one
M - Why not?
G - Because she's not Chinese, she's American. (Abigail has Josephina)
M - That doesn't matter, she can still celebrate CNY.
G - No she can't, she's not Chinese, She's American
M - You don't have to be Chinese to celebrate CNY. Mommy is not Chinese and I celebrate CNY.
G - You're suppose to, you're my mom.
M - Honey you're not only Chinese, you're American too
G - No I'm not, I'm Chinese
M - You can be Chinese and American
G - I don't think I want to, I think I want to be Chinese only.
M - Oh, but you we live in America, go to American schools, and have American birth certificates. That makes us Americans, and you're so lucky because you get to be Chinese-American.
G - Well, I think we need to move to China because I just can't handle being both.
WOW, not sure if I'm ready for her to be a teenager.

No comments: