Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Where to begin on the Medical Front in the Trawick House

Yesterday we went to the Dr. for a checkup, both girls. Today we went for hearing tests. What a time. Abigail is now on the charts, just barely, but on the charts. - Wooooo Hoooo. She weighs 24.13 lbs and is 32" tall. All this at age 4 yr and 4M. Her curve is is staying the same distance apart in what little growth she has, so that's good. Dr. said she is fine and he'll see her at her next check up. He is estimating 4' 9", maybe 10" and about 85 - 90 lbs. Genevieve is 33.12 lbs and 38" tall. She will be about 5' 2" and around 118 lbs. He said she has strong muscle tone she will weigh a bit more. Her energy level is high. She jumped all over that office. We just smiled. I told him about her leg pains she has 1 - 2 times a week. It wakes her up in the middle of the night for about 2 hours. I really was not concerned, just figured them to be growing pains. She is my first kiddo to have them. Any way he said that's a bit often. So he started having her jump, walk, hop and so on. Then he started to measure her legs, heels, and knees. He said one of he shins is shorter than the other. This is new. He has ordered X-rays to get a better measurement about the difference and bloodwork to see if he can figure out why it's happening. Grrrrrrrr. The hearing tests today came back a bit different than I thought would happen. I really thought Genevieve had lost some hearing recently because she is not hearing me when I talk to her sometimes. Well her hearing has not changed. She is still only at a moderate loss of around 20%. We were told that as she grows up she learns to tune out outside stimuli to better focus on what she's doing. This is wonderful news. At least I know she is not intentionally tuning me out, and she's growing up. Abigail on the other hand. I was not prepared to hear that she is now classified as moderate to severe in her hearing loss. She has a had a loss in her good ear. Wow. The good ear is packed with fluid that will not drain so we are hoping after we make a decision about what can be done about this she may have some hearing restored. It all kinda caught me off guard. It explains the voice that sounds like a high pitched telephone operator when she talks and her continuously telling me "look at me, I can't hear you". What a smart kiddo.

1 comment:

Mother of 2 Angels said...

Oh so sorry honey - I hope it all turns out ok